Tour our hospital through photos, or better yet, in person!
Pets love a calm visit with treats. It introduces them to the space before their first exam.
You’ll love hearing about the 100 little we do each day to offer you the best experience. Visit us and experience the Firehouse difference.
What makes us different? 100 Little Things
1. We know your pets are a part of your family. We want you to feel like you’re a part of ours.
- Learning lab: join your veterinarian as he or she investigates your pet’s health at the centrifuge or the microscope.
- Local nonprofits: we make a huge difference in the lives of Thundering Paws and WAGS shelter pets by providing thousands of dollars of free medical care each year.
- Sliding doors: Our quiet sliding doors help anxious pets stay calm. Plus, they give you and your pets more space in our exam rooms.
- We make fun for the whole family! We keep kiddos entertained during vet visits by involving them in their pets’ care, playing with toys in our family room, and coloring our Firehouse coloring book in return for a prize.
- Easy check-out: if you have multiple pets, we’ll do check-out in the exam room to save you from having to wrestle your pets while trying to check-out at the front desk.
- Tags: We engrave personalized Firehouse pet tags for our patients. PS–we have cat and dog sizes.
- Grassy space: Each hospital has onsite grassy space that pets can use if they need it.
- You can stay with your pet: We design windows into our doors and walls so that you can see what is going on in our treatment area. If you’d like, you can stay beside your pet for all parts of treatment.
- 24-hour phone service: We provide 24-hour care by phone, so you know that we’ll always be there when you need us most.
- Happy visits: These hospital drop-ins build positive experiences and memories using cuddles, playtime, and treats.
- Alternatives: We are open to many alternative therapies to offer diverse treatment options including Acupuncture offered at our Round Rock location.
- Worried pet?: We like to plan ahead for fearful, anxious and stressed pets. If you or your pet stress about visiting the vet, let us know so we can improve your visit! We can plan a quick move through the lobby, have favorite treats ready, or create a pre-visit plan with medications or supplements for the appointment.
- Smiling faces: Our Client Service Coordinators will answer all your questions.
15. Coffee: We partner with local coffee companies to provide you with tasty coffee any time you visit.
- Tours: We love to show off our hospital to clients and guests at any time!
- Playtime: We can’t wait to play with your pets during our downtime. It’s the best part of our day!
- We smell good! We work hard to not “smell like a vet clinic” because we are anti-stink.
- Great art: Each hospital features art that brightens our walls and helps pets feel calm.
- Snacks! Nothing makes kids (and adults) happier than grabbing a snack and a drink in our lobby.
- Kid stuff: Toys, Firehouse coloring books, and more for entertainment while we chat.
- Local nonprofits: We provide thousands of dollars of free medical care to local shelter pets each year (over $1.3M to date)!
- Red or white? We say “thank you” for giving us a try with a bottle of red or white wine.
- Follow-ups: We want to make sure everything is going well, so we’ll reach out to you often.
- Open doors: There are no boundaries in our facilities. We partner with you in patient care. Ask us questions and join us in the treatment area.
- Getting on the floor: Most of our patients are more comfortable there and so are we.
- Doctor time: Our doctors take time to sit and chat because it’s the core of how we practice.
- Comfort room: We have special rooms for deep discussions or to say goodbye to a beloved pet. A separate exit to the outside gives our clients privacy for tough moments.
- X-rays: We pinpoint issues with a state-of-the-art digital system providing quick, high-quality images.
- Surgery suite: We perform procedures in a dedicated suite full of the best medical devices available.
- Referral program: When you trust us enough to send us a new client, you both benefit!
- Behavior training: We vetted and recommend Austin’s best “dog whisperers” for behavioral issues.
- Stress-free experience: We constantly strive to provide low-stress experiences for our patients and clients. We use Fear Free and Cat Friendly Practice techniques.
- Cremation services: We work with Fond Memories because they treat our patients like their own pets.
35. No paperwork to complete: We do the work for you. There are no “new patient forms” and we’ll complete and submit your rebates, insurance and rewards!
- Playcare and boarding: We noticed pets loved visiting us, so we opened a play care and boarding resort for days you need to work or travel.
- Scheduling: We schedule our appointments to value your time and the flow of all visits. Emergencies happen, but we typically run on time.
- Dental x-rays: Our digital system is crucial in providing the best care for your pet’s teeth.
- Technician team: Our vet techs are the best in the business, continually developing their skills. Plus, they bring their kind and positive attitudes to work each day.
- Communication training: We help team members become better communicators through ongoing education because it directly affects patient care.
- After procedure care: Coming out of surgery can be scary. We cuddle with them and give them love and attention until they go home.
- Playtime: Your pet should love coming to see us, so we make sure to add a little playtime to your visit.
- Preventive care: Everything we do is to ensure our patients live long, happy, and healthy lives.
- Puppies & kittens: Congrats on your new family member! We offer discounted spay/neuter packages and exam visits where we look forward to getting to know your unique kitten or puppy.
45. Client rewards program: Your loyalty means a lot. Our program rewards you with special perks. Rewards are automatically applied to your account.
- Drop-offs: We know you’re busy, so we welcome early appointment drop-offs and pick-ups any time before closing.
- Bravery certificates: It can be scary going someplace new, so we are sure to recognize when your pet has been courageous.
- Safe anesthesia: Our team is extensively trained. We always have a dedicated anesthetist and use state-of-the-art monitoring equipment to make anesthesia as safe as possible for your pets.
- Grooming, training, and product partners: We research and build relationships with Austin service providers and vendors so you can rely on our recommendations.
- Lab: Our onsite and reference laboratories provide comprehensive diagnostics for our patients.
- Kennels: Our accommodations are clean, spacious, and comfortable for our patients.
- Telemedicine: Our medical team has 24-hour access to a specialist network for case consultation.
- Tailored healthcare plans: We partner with you to develop the best healthcare plan for you and your pets’ lifestyle. We understand it has to work for you.
- Treats: Cheese, peanut butter, and cookies for dogs. Catnip for kitties. We love to treat your cat and dog.
- Follow-up calls: You’ll always get a post-surgery check-in from us.
- Giving: For every $250 you spend, we give you the option of a $5 discount or partnering with us to give that $5 to a community charity group.
- Cat-friendly: We provide separate exam rooms, kennels, and treatment areas for our feline friends. These areas even feature Feliway (pheromones) to decrease stress.
58. Vet for a day: We donate in-hospital experiences to a local school and community group fundraisers. This helps nonprofits raise funds, and it helps encourage the next generation of veterinarians!
- Internships: We mentor high school, college, and vet school interns to help build careers. Ask us about this program if your student is a budding veterinarian.
- Team meetings: Regular meetings ensure everyone is on the same page about patients, medical advances, and more so we’re at the top of our game to help each other, you, and your pets.
- Continuing education: As a team, we are always learning and training to stay on the cutting edge of medicine.
- Info to go: We send every patient home with complete information for continuing care.
63. Agenda setting: When we begin our appointment, we list all the items we need to discuss so nothing gets forgotten.
- We’ll welcome you by name: We know who you are.
- Specialist partnerships: We have multiple options for local specialty care when needed.
- Community: From day one, we’ve given back to our community. We engage with and support local community groups that work with kids and animals.
- Chief the Big Dog and Ember the Big Cat: Our 12’ tall blow-up mascots attend all of our events and occasionally visit our hospitals.
- Advisors: Our doctors are medical advisors to pet-related businesses and groups in Austin and beyond.
- Awesome doctors: We invite only the brightest, most caring, and experienced doctors to join our team.
- Austin vibe: We embrace the ATX culture; life can be stressful (and weird!), but we are here to give you peace of mind.
71. Comprehensive care: We provide complete pet care in our hospitals, and we coordinate care with specialists when necessary.
- Education: We want you to understand what is happening; the more you know, the better we do our job.
- Mutual respect: You know your pet best. We’ll listen to you as we develop your pet’s care plan.
- Demonstrations: We take the time to teach you how to care for your pet at home, whether you’re using a new medication, giving injections, or learning about oral care and nail trims.
- Client relationships: We work hard to earn your trust, as we feel lucky to collaborate with you and provide care to your pet.
- Emergency ready: In emergencies like snake bites, there’s no time to waste. We have ER kits ready to go in case quick action is needed.
- Dental exams: We are tooth fanatics. To provide the best experience for you and your pet, please call to schedule an appointment for these complimentary services.
- Online meds: Our online pharmacy is an easy, convenient, and economical way to buy pet meds!
- Returns: If a diet we provide doesn’t work out, we will take it back for a full refund and find another solution.
- Vaccines: We respect the power of vaccination, and we use as few as possible tailored to each patient.
- Microchips: We will remind you to keep the information up-to-date so you can be quickly reunited with your pet should he run away or get lost.
- We encourage questions: Call us any time or bring your list to your pet’s exam.
- Old age conversations: We’ll talk as often as you need to offer at-home care tips and palliative medicine to meet your pet’s needs.
- End of life consultations: We’ll talk to you as often as you need. We’ll never rush you. We want your pet’s quality of life to be high in his or her last days with your family.
- Social media contests: Show off your pet and win awesome prizes from local companies.
- Cat in a bag? Or a carrier? No problem: We’ll examine your cat wherever he’s most comfortable.
- Memorial program: We honor each of our patients’ lives by making a contribution in their name to Emancipet.
- Go local: As an Austin-founded company, we support local businesses through patronage or referrals.
89. The human-animal bond: We value the role your pets play in your family; we treat them as if they were our own.
- Nutrition: We take the time to make food recommendations fine-tuned for your pet. We don’t believe in one-size-fits-all solutions.
- Multiple Austin and surrounding area locations: We aim to serve you in your neighborhood; we are currently in 7 Austin locations with more coming soon!
- 30-minute slots: We buck the industry trend and schedule plenty of time for our appointments.
- Saturdays: We are open for weekend appointments because we know you’re busy during the workweek.
- Surgery: Scheduled or emergency, we provide most procedures here and quickly.
- Easy appointments: Easily schedule an appointment on our website or even through Google!
- Swag: Bandanas, tennis balls, ping pong balls, bubbles, and more. We encourage fun!
- Exotics: We aren’t limited to dogs or cats; we also see birds, pocket pets, and many other types of exotics at our Kyle, Belterra, and Round Rock locations!
- We take your feedback to heart: Good or bad, your thoughts help us do better.
- Client appreciation events: We host annual client parties to say thank you for being a part of our family, including Santa Paws Photos and anniversary celebrations.
- Parking spots: We make it easy for you to drop off your pet with spots right out front.